Interrupting Racism for Everyday Living Actionshop – June 2014
There may not be pointy white hats. Barack Obama may be in the White House. We may all be “Portland nice.”
Racial microaggressions happen every day - at the grocery store, at a family gathering, in our neighborhood and workplace.
This Actionshop starts from the belief that racism exists, often in covert ways. It also assumes that while interrupting racism is not always easy, it is a crucial part of our work for racial justice.
- Give voice to what gets in the way for each of us and what is gained by interrupting racism.
- Introduce 3 strategies for interrupting in different contexts.
- Use real-life scenarios to practice interruptions in the skin you’re in.
While these skills are transferrable to sexism, classism, and other forms of oppression, we will keep the focus on racism for this Action shop.
Coffee, Tea and light snacks will be provided.
For accessibility information please contact us.
What past participants say
- "Interactive throughout, kept people engaged and responding"
- "Excellent Energy! Thanks for your honesty and real life examples.
- "This made me stop and look at myself."
- "Thank you for your openness and very positive energy! This was probably the most useful training I’ve ever been to. Thank you!"
- It was great to be able to have time to act out scenarios where we can act and interrupt to challenge racism together.
Dates, Location & Accessibility
Training dates: Wednesday, June 4, 2014: 5pm - 9pm
Location: Resolutions Northwest (1827 NE 44th Avenue, Suite 300, Portland, Oregon 97213). We have free parking for cars and bikes, and we're close to transit.
Accessibility: We want each participant to be fully included. Please contact us with any questions or requests for how we could support you in participating fully, such as providing large-print materials, sending written materials in advance, discussing/modifying the room set-up, etc.
Fees: The fee for this workshop is $100. We ask you to pay what you are able.
Space is limited. Register now! Please note your space will not be confirmed untilwe receive your payment.
A 100% refund is available up to 14 days before the training, minus a $25 administrative fee. For more details on our refund policy, click here.
Trainers: Christina Albo & TBD
1827 NE 44th Ave., Ste. 300
(3rd Floor - park in building lot or street)
Portland, OR OR-97213
|Your workshop payment in increments of||$ 1.00|